Saturday, December 2, 2006

Food and Tarot

There is an Herbal Tarot deck (and nearly a deck for everything else:) but I cannot find a Tarot deck which uses food or cooking as a theme. Certain foods aim in the healing and rejuvination process as well- our moods also respond to food combinations or a specific diet we are on. Fasting, feasting, eating specific dishes (like latkes during Hanukkah), or abstaining from particular foods are often connected with religious rites, ceremonies, and traditions. I'm interested in the idea of using different foods/dishes per card to aid in healing, illness prevention, mood elevation, energy invigoration, nurturing, spiritual journeying etc.
Not only do I love cooking, but reading and writing about food is also one of my favorite pasttimes. As many tarot decks are focused around a specific hobby or religion, etc. marrying two of my favorite hobbies sounds interesting. Most people do not associate food with tarot but what we eat contributes to our spiritual, emotional, and physical development.
I haven't given too much thought about a particular Tarot deck which I would like to create, so this would be my first real investigation into what a deck that I created would be like. I don't know how the idea of a food tarot would figure out, but thinking about how I would go about it invokes my curiosity.